The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What a fucking shit year
Since march I've been worrying about Covid and me parents catching it.

In July me dad was diagnosed with skin cancer, but luckily it wasn't the most aggressive type and he soon batted that off just needing a small op.

He is the fittest mid-seventy yr old you could ever know, always active and fit as fuck, but two weeks ago he had a heart attack out of the blue.

Went to hospital and spent the next 10 days getting all kinds of tests.  Like a camera inserted into a vein in his leg and sent up to his heart to see the damage.  Shit like that. And every day or two they found something new out that made his condition worse than previously thought.  He was always positive as fuck though, telling me not to worry and he'll be ok.

Two days ago he had heart surgery.  Proper major stuff - taking the heart out and repairing the valve and there was a good chance he wouldnt make it.

6 hour job but it went according to plan and he then went into ITU (as planned) and was stable.  Still not out of the woods yet by a long way but obviously a fucking relief he got through the worst bit.

Today I got a text off him. "I'm not going to make it son. Tell your mam I love her and look after her for me"

Skipping over things a bit here cos this story is dragging on a bit - but after the worst few minutes of my life I find out nothing has happened and he is still stable and on the right course (which the nurses have been telling him)

Then I spoke to him on the phone and its like he's had some kind of breakdown. He's just 100% convinced he isn't going to make it and will die soon even though the nurses are telling him he's doing fine.  Begging me to tell my mam this is the end and he loves her more than anything (we've been protecting her - she has no idea how serious things have been)

He's the strongest man I know, head of the family and always knows how to sort everyonesw problems out. but I just cant get through to him. He was crying and almost hysterical  Breaking my heart hearing him like this (on top of how poorly he still is).  And being in such distress wont be doing his recovery any good I suspect

Well, thats where we're up to right now - just waiting to see what tomorrow brings.

Been told its common for a patient to feel negative, anxious etc after what he's been through but this seems like somthing else to me

My head is absoultely done in and I've had a few beers so probs not done a good job of writing that.  Also missed a few things out that would further explain why Im so upset and almost at the end of my tether

There are a few wise old sages on here so any informative/positive/encouraging comments would be welcomed

Messages In This Thread
What a fucking shit year - by BFT - 02-12-2020, 02:15 AM
RE: What a fucking shit year - by Scrivenator - 07-12-2020, 07:51 PM
RE: What a fucking shit year - by BFT - 09-12-2020, 06:48 PM
RE: What a fucking shit year - by Scrivenator - 09-12-2020, 10:27 PM
RE: What a fucking shit year - by BFT - 14-12-2020, 11:46 PM
RE: What a fucking shit year - by Scrivenator - 16-12-2020, 02:42 PM